Its six ambitions for 2020 are designed to strengthen Michelin's leadership in sustainable mobility and make it one of the world's top-performing companies in fulfilling all of its commitments to responsibility.
- Objective: improve the overall performance of our products by at least 10% compared with 2010, while using fewer raw materials in their production.
- Result: 3 billion liters of fuel saved over a tire's lifetime and 8 million tonnes of CO2 avoided through improvements in our products, by comparison with 2010.
Set the industry standard for responsible manufacturing
- Achieve a 40% reduction in the environmental impact of our sites as measured by the Michelin Environmental Footprint (MEF), notably by improving our manufacturing energy efficiency by 25%.
- Promote responsible logistics and reduce our supply chain CO2 emissions by 10%.
- Evaluate the Group's top 400 suppliers' sustainable development performance, encourage them to improve, and give them the support necessary for 70% of them to attain the "confirmed" level of Michelin standards.
Secure our financial performance
- Deliver €1 billion in structural free cash flow per year as from 2020.
- Achieve a return on capital employed (ROCE) equal to or higher than 15% by 2020.
Work together to continuously improve employee well-being and personal development
- Further improve occupational safety and achieve a Total Case Incident Rate (TCIR) of less than 2 for the whole Group.
- Achieve and maintain an 85% employee engagement rate within the Group%.
- Ensure that 75% of management positions are held by employees who come from within the Company, reflecting the Group's constantly growing diversity.
- Increase the percentage of women in all management positions to 30%.
- Increase the percentage of local top managers in growth regions to 80%.
Strengthen ties with our host communities
- Ensure that 100% of Michelin sites deploy a community involvement program in line with the 2013 guidelines.
- Encourage employees to get involved in the community and donate 30,000 working days per year to serve their communities.
- Help to create 2,000 local jobs per year through Michelin Development.
Improve everyone's quality of life through sustainable mobility
- Step up initiatives to improve road safety, mainly by training drivers in emerging countries.
- Promote energy-efficient, low-emissions mobility, particularly in cities.
- Contribute to the development of a circular economy by advocating renewable and recycled solutions, and better resource usage.
Factored into all of the Group's projects and applied by all of its teams, the Ambitions for 2020 translate Michelin's desire to build its development in the long term and help address social issues by implementing its values of respect.
The Michelin Environmental Footprint
The MEF (Michelin Environmental Footprint) is an environmental performance indicator.
It spans the six most important environmental factors for the Group's medium-term manufacturing operations. This compound indicator embraces resource usage (water, energy and waste generation), atmospheric emissions (VOCs and CO2) and waste sent to landfill.