Michelin presents the X-SUPER TERRAIN + tire
- Articulated dump trucks operate in difficult conditions, where tires must deliver excellent performance in terms of traction, robustness and reliability.
- The new MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN + reuses the most outstanding feature of the MICHELIN X-SUPER: its exceptional traction.To futher enhance performance, the new tire also integrates Michelin's latest technological innovations: additional reinforcements and the latestgeneration C2 casing.
- The use of new, more wear-resistant rubber compounds has increased tire life by up to 15%.
Surface mines, quarries and cement works, as well as infrastructure projects to build motorways, railways or dams, all have something in common. These operations are increasing in number around the world and articulated dump trucks play an essential role in their success, in all cases.
Articulated dump trucks, which can carry payloads that vary from 20 to 50 tonnes, need to be extremely adaptable, versatile and able to carry materials on sometimes difficult terrain, regardless of weather conditions.
Now, both articulated and rigid-frame dump trucks can count on an important ally: the new MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN + tire, which integrates the full range of technological solutions that Michelin provides to operators working in quarries and on large-scale infrastructure projects.
On these sites, as well as in surface mines, tires operate in extremely demanding conditions. Their durability, traction and maneuverability in all working conditions are crucial, as are the reliability and robustness of the machines they equip.
The new MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN + offers three significant gains across the board:
- Enhanced safety. The new MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN + delivers enhanced safety performance thanks to its reinforced sidewalls. Unlike the previous-generation tire, the tire features a lateral scuff rib.
- Improved profitability. The new MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN + provides more profitability thanks to its improved resistance to cuts and scrapes and its more durable casing that, combined with a more resistant tread compound, increases the tire’s longevity. The tread of the previous-generation tire, seen as a benchmark, was maintained in the new-generation MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN +. Tire pressure has been increased by 0.5 bar to limit the impact of abrasion. The new MICHELIN XSUPER TERRAIN + also integrates C2 technology, which consists of a newgeneration casing that reduces heat build-up on the shoulders when the tire is in use, thereby increasing tire life, thanks to the use of thicker, corrosion-resistant cables.
- More respect for the environment. The new MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN + was designed to optimize the amount of material needed in its manufacture, which takes place in ISO1400-certified plants whose environmental impact has been reduced by 16% since 2005. Respecting the environment also meets extending tire life. That’s why Michelin designed the new MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN + to be fully and easily reparable and retreadable.
The new MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN + is currently available in the market’s most popular size, 29.5 R25, as a direct replacement for the MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN, and Michelin teams are already working to develop other tire sizes.
Michelin’s Earthmover operations: Key figures
Michelin’s Earthmover operations: Milestones
1959 : The world’s first radial Earthmover tire is produced.
1977 : Opening of the Michelin testing center in Almeria, Spain. It is the first – and still the only – testing center in the world fully dedicated to Earthmover tires.
1998 : The first low-profile tire for dump trucks is produced. The new tire increases the load capacity of large dump trucks.
2001 : Launch of the MICHELIN XDR 59/80 R 63, the world’s largest tire.
2007 : Introduction of the Michelin Earthmover Management System (MEMS), the first electronic data system for managing Earthmover tires.
2011 : Launch of the MICHELIN XZM2+, a tire specially designed for reach stackers.
2013 : Launch of the MICHELIN X STRADDLE 2, a new generation of tires intended to improve the productivity of marine terminal operations. Launch of the MICHELIN X-SUPER TERRAIN +, the newgeneration tire dedicated to quarries and large-scale worksites.