Know your customers, look towards the future and be bold
From finding out how tires are used in the various markets to forecasting what mobility will be like 20 years from now, Michelin teams do everything possible to meet and exceed customers' expectations and build a distinctive product and service range.
Innovation means keeping your ear constantly to the market and its expectations. Michelin's strength lies in its ability to anticipate these expectations, bring together the necessary R&D resources and respond promptly with the right solutions.
Being at our customers' side
Michelin has a strong technical presence in the field: around 500 field engineers are present in 45 countries to support its various business lines, including:
- Passenger car tires
- Truck tires
- Earthmover tires
- Aircraft tires
Understanding how tires are used
Field engineers play a vital role in understanding how Michelin customers use tires and what they expect of them. It requires them to:
- observe the conditions in which tires are used
- measure the performance of mass-market tires on customer vehicle fleets, or closely monitor new products
- give customers and sales forces technical advice about how to use tires and tire performances
- advise dissatisfied customers
- monitor the markets and market trends
Michelin relies heavily on its ability to anticipate long-term trends in the marketplace and the environment, i.e. 10 years or more into the future. Michelin's Strategic Anticipation Unit, set up in 2012, prepares the Company to address future stakes and set the appropriate changes or disruptions in motion.
Close to customers’ needs
Over and above the studies, analyses, experiments and tests conducted in laboratories and in real-life track conditions, Michelin runs tests directly on its customers' fleets. Around 75,000 such tests are performed each year. This lets Michelin capitalize on information harvested from a large number of real-life applications.
Did you know?
This new Group entity, created in 2013, is responsible for designing, developing and marketing innovative value-creating models for its professional customers (light vehicle, truck and earthmover fleets) in all areas relating to transport. The originality of these solutions is based on several key components:
- a contractual commitment to results, shared with the customer
- taking into account numerous levers of action which go way beyond tires
- the support of an ecosystem of partners who are experts in areas as varied as training, telematics and electronics to deliver a comprehensive solution which is unique in the market
- a reimbursement guarantee if results are not achieved.