The app, which is the brain of the system, is now available in 3 modes. Leisure mode (1) is accessible to all and can be used regardless of its tires. Expert mode is intended for owners of sportscars participating in track- days and wishing to optimize their performance and their driving pleasure. Motorsport mode is intended for rally drivers (soon for circuit racers). This solution is present as original equipment on the latest Renault Clio Rally. These two Expert and Motorsport modes require the use of a MICHELIN Track Connect kit and need to be combined with the use of MICHELIN connected tires.
Faithful to its DNA, the Group pursues its ambition of a more sustainable connected mobility accessible to as many people as possible, by offering enhanced driving experiences, on tracks or during rally competitions, with or without connected tires, thanks to an extension of its MICHELIN Track Connect solution. Michelin was a pioneer in connected tires when launching its MICHELIN Track Connect solution for the first time in March 2018. Acting like a virtual tire engineer, the MICHELIN Track Connect connected tire solution constantly analyzes the evolution of tire pressure and provide the driver with advice and recommendations on tire management. Composed of MICHELIN tires in which sensors were installed, a connection box and an app for smartphones providing information and advice, the MICHELIN Track Connect solution was mainly intended for “Track Days” drivers, owners of specific sports cars driving on track.
One application, three modes of use
A Leisure mode, 100% free, usable whatever its tires and open to all enthusiasts
Usable whatever the tires, the Leisure mode makes its debut in the latest generation of the MICHELIN Track Connect application. In this mode it is possible to:
- record lap times and speeds, as well as the evolution of tire inflation pressures between the start and finish measured manually;
- analyze in detail its runs thanks to a "Replay" mode;
- share its results with a community of enthusiasts, as well as on social medias;
- compare their performance to that of other drivers;
- invite some other drivers to participate in new challenges.
Pushing its limits in Expert mode with MICHELIN connected tires
With the purchase of MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 Connect tires (Connect ready (2)) as well as the MICHELIN Track Connect kit consisting in particular of 4 sensors and the central connection box, sports car owners shift into higher gear for increased driving pleasure.
In addition to the functions of Leisure mode, the MICHELIN Track Connect Expert mode allows you to:
- monitor evolution of tire pressures and temperatures in real time ;
- benefit from recommendations to improve lap times, dedicated to the vehicle, the track and the weather conditions.
Through this advice on pressures and temperatures provided by the app, the MICHELIN Track Connect solution in Expert mode allows you to optimize the handling of its car, for more driving pleasure and better lap times. Tire wear and consistency of performance on track are also improved, with for example a gain of 7.40 seconds (3) after series of 15 consecutive laps.
Even more performance in racing, safely, thanks to Motorsport mode
Michelin has always used competition as a development laboratory. In November 2019 during the FIA Formula E Championship, Michelin launched the first connected competition tires, fitted with integrated sensors: the MICHELIN Pilot Sport with MICHELIN Track Connect.
Today, amateur and professional rally drivers also have access to a connected tire solution, thanks to the MICHELIN Track Connect in Motorsport mode, in combination with the connection kit and the purchase of MICHELIN Connect ready competition tires.
The benefits of the new Motorsport mode are:
- optimization of race performance by preparing the tires with the correct pressure before the start. The app provides personalized advice according to the car model, use, type of tires fitted and driving conditions ;
- continuous information on tire pressure on the smartphone screen, thereby limiting manual gestures before each special stage start ;
- exploitation of the full potential of the tires, by analyzing the data recorded during a run and by proposing adjusted pressures for the next one ;
- increased safety during competitions thanks to the automatic slow puncture warning.
The use of this innovation has just been validated by the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) for all national rally championships.
Co-designed with users
Tested for more than 2 years on a multitude of circuits and during local and national rallies, by amateur drivers as well as by professionals, MICHELIN Track Connect is evolving today thanks to this field experience. All the features introduced in the new version of MICHELIN Track Connect thus are perfect answers to the needs expressed directly by users.
More countries, more eligible vehicles
Whereas the MICHELIN Track Connect kit is sold in 18(4) countries in Expert mode, the app is already available in Leisure mode in 26 countries (4), spread over 4 continents, a number which will increase quickly. The app also include more than 300 circuits recorded.
In addition, for users wishing to switch to Expert mode by fitting Connect ready tires, the new MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2 Connect is available in a range of 47 sizes which are all Connect ready and therefore compatible. This now represents more than 270 vehicles in Expert mode and more than 6,000 vehicles present in the application in Leisure mode.
MICHELIN Track Connect: original equipment on the new Renault Clio Rally
Renault Sport Racing and Michelin have joined forces on the new Clio Rally for safer and more efficient connected mobility. The latest Renault Sport Racing car is delivered from the factory with the MICHELIN Track Connect kit in Motorsport mode, consisting of a connection box directly installed in the car, and 4 sensors to be inserted into the tires. Crews then only have to provide with connect ready MICHELIN rally tires and download the app on their smartphones to take full advantage of the connected tires solution.
(1) Leisure mode gives access to the smartphone app only and to functions that do not require connected tires.
(2) Connect Ready : the tire has been designed with a specific container, the user has just to insert the sensors of the Michelin Track Connect solution to make the tire connected
(3) Internal study certified by a bailiff, Porsche 991 (991) GT3 RS equipped with MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 CONNECT on 265 / 35ZR20 and 325 / 30ZR21 with MICHELIN Track Connect carried out at the Andalucia Spain circuit (11/2019) after 15 laps, vs previous generation MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP2. Actual running conditions may vary
(4) Kit available in Expert mode in Germany, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Netherlands, Portugal, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Sweden, United States (situation on the 07/17/2020)