Michelin strives to create employment opportunities in the locations where it operates. The company also seeks to provide local businesses with expertise and technical support in a wide variety of sectors of the economy.
Since its inception in 1990, Michelin Development has helped to create nearly 35,000 jobs in France, Spain, Italy, the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States.
Every year, Michelin evaluates the human rights risks inherent in its operations. Human rights considerations in the supply chain are subjected to particular scrutiny. In addition, Michelin’s policy to ensure that subcontractors demonstrate socially responsible practices is routinely on the agenda at the annual Corporate Stakeholders Committee meeting.
Objectives for 2020
- Deploy a local community engagement program in every plant, in line with the 2013 guidelines.
- Encourage employee involvement in initiatives that support the local community by donating 30,000 working days per year.
- Contribute to local employment through Michelin Development, with the creation of 2,000 jobs per year.
- Reinforce our advocacy of road safety, with a strong focus on driver education in emerging countries.
Rate of progress
- Our plants and offices moved their programs into compliance with the guidelines in 2018.
- In 2019, 32,850 working days were spent on local community projects by employees.
- 1,700 jobs were created with the help of Michelin Development in 2019.