Passing of Mr. François Michelin
François Michelin was born on June 15, 1926. He was the son of Etienne Michelin and the grandson of Edouard Michelin, who co-founded Michelin et Cie with his brother André in 1889.
Fond of science, he studied mathematics before joining the Carmes factory in 1951, where he followed onboarding as an engineer. For two years, he was a shift employee, first as a worker in the Truck workshop on the Carmes site then as an operator for passenger car tires in Cataroux. He then trained with the salesforce, visiting dealers throughout France, and spent several months training in Italy at the Turin factory. Upon returning to France, he became shop manager for the Truck workshop at the Carmes site, then spent a year in Research.
On May 28, 1955, with this solid experience, François Michelin became co-Managing Partner of the Manufacture Française des Pneumatiques Michelin (MFPM) and the Compagnie Générale des Etablissements Michelin (CGEM), alongside his uncle Robert Puiseux.
In October 1959, he became sole Managing Partner, then called François Rollier to work alongside him in 1966, followed by René Zingraff in 1986. In 1991, shortly before François Rollier retired, the co-Managing Partners asked Edouard Michelin, one of François Michelin's sons, to join them at the head of the Company. Edouard Michelin had been working for the Company for several years, holding several positions, notably in France and in North America.
- 1926: François Michelin was born in Clermont-Ferrand, the grandson of Edouard Michelin and son of Etienne Michelin
- 1951: joins the Carmes factory
- 1955: becomes co-Managing Partner with Robert Puiseux
- 1959: becomes sole Managing Partner
- 1965: creation of the Technology Center in Ladoux/signature of the agreement with Sears
- 1966: calls on François Rollier to work alongside him as co-Managing Partner
- 1975: first factory in the United States in Greenville.
- 1986: René Zingraff joins François Rollier and François Michelin as co-Managing Partner
- 1990: acquisition of Uniroyal-Goodrich
- 1991: before F. Rollier retires, appoints Edouard Michelin as a co-Managing Partner
- 1996: global reorganization of the Company
- 2002: François Michelin leaves his position a Managing Partner
- 2015: Passing of François Michelin