Shell Eco-marathon 2016
Shell Eco-Marathon: the low-energy challenge
European genesis, international expansion
France is the birthplace of the Shell Eco-marathon Europe. The first edition took place there in 1985 with 25 teams from 4 countries taking part on the Paul Ricard track at Le Castellet, in the south of France. In 2000, the competition moved to the Paul Armagnac track in Nogaro, then from 2009 it was held at Germany’s EuroSpeedway in Lausitz.
The competition has never stopped growing from its humble beginnings to become the huge international draw it is today, with an annual event on three continents: Europe, Americas and Asia.
The Shell Eco-marathon Timeline
- 1939: birth of the fuel consumption challenge in a Shell laboratory in the United States
- 1985: first edition of Shell Eco-marathon Europe in France
- 2007: first edition of Shell Eco-marathon Americas in California
- 2010: first edition of Shell Eco-marathon Asia in Malaysia and first worldwide season
- 2011: introduction of the category E-mobility for electric propulsion
- 2012: introduction of a new urban circuit for Shell Eco-marathon Europe