MICHELIN GUIDE ITALY 2012
A Star-Packed Edition
The MICHELIN Guide Italy 2012 offers an impressive selection of 6,493 establishments in 2,111 locations, including 3,384 hotels, 380 country guesthouses and 2,729 restaurants. More importantly, the guide combines quantity with quality. The MICHELIN Guide inspectors strictly comply with the rules of anonymous visits, independence, regular updates and well-defined criteria to select the best restaurants and hotels in every comfort and price category. These rules ensure that the MICHELIN Guide meets its prime objective of making life easier for its readers.
The result of a rigorous, consensus-based selection and assessment process, the 57th edition of the MICHELIN Guide Italy offers readers an extensive range of starred and unstarred restaurants, with around 100 new establishments to suit every purse and palate. Thanks to consistent criteria but extremely versatile content, the MICHELIN Guide is a good reflection of current trends. In the MICHELIN Guide Italy 2012, starred restaurants account for 11% of the selection and Bib Gourmand establishments for 10%. The number of restaurants offering inexpensive meals, on the other hand, rose by nearly 80% and now represents 35% of the total. This increase reflects the conscientious effort being made by the hospitality industry to keep up with the times and the greater attention being paid to the needs of travelers in search of a meal.
It has long been said that “people are what they eat” and it is true that culinary needs, tastes and habits are part of one’s identity. Today, however, it is probably safe to say that people know what they're eating and they certainly know what they want, including when it comes to dining out.
Value for Money with Bib Gourmand and Bib Hotel
- 953 restaurants that offer a simple meal for less than €23, a significant increase over the 534 listed in the previous edition.
- 260 Bib Gourmand restaurants that offer good-quality cuisine, often typical of the region, with a full meal for less than €30, or €35 in major cities and important tourist destinations. Of the total, 45 are new additions.
- 123 Bib Hotels, which offer good-quality accommodation for less than €90 for two people. The MICHELIN Guide Italy 2011 included 87 Bib Hotels.
Stars for Culinary Excellence
The 2012 edition of the MICHELIN Guide Italy presents 38 new entries in the starred restaurant categories, including 1 new three-star, 4 new two-star and 33 new one-star for a total of:
- 7 three-star restaurants, including 1 new addition.
- 38 two-star restaurants, including 4 new additions.
- 250 one-star restaurants, including 33 new additions.
In all, the 2011 edition of the guide offers a selection of 295 starred restaurants with a total of 347 stars. The number of starred restaurants in Italy has risen by 30% in the last six years.
A Wide Choice of Accommodation
- 33 luxury hotels in the traditional style
- 380 country guesthouses and B&Bs
- 937 “especially pleasant” establishments designated by a red pictogram
- 388 hotels with spa facilities
Symbols for Everyone’s Needs
The MICHELIN Guide uses symbols to indicate which establishments are handicapped-accessible or child-friendly and which establishments do not allow dogs.
The 2012 edition also indicates which hotels offer an equipped beach.
Michelin Media Relations: +33 1 45 66 22 22